Monday, April 02, 2007

Discovering Tests Once More

I've only been to 5 written tests my whole working life so far. Looking back, I can really tell how valuable those tests are in helping me imagine myself in the role I apply for, probably more than they are to the employers in screening out unsuitable candidates.

The first written test I have ever taken was at Marshall Cavendish, for an editorial position for school books. Hehe ... it seemed like a natural choice at that time since I was so hell bent on a writing job, even if it's math and science textbooks. But on hindsight, the test really showed that I had no love for scrutinising grammatical errors or correcting sentence structure. I passed the test, was called back for an interview, during which the interviewer cautioned that I might be bored to death editing school texts given my background in the creative industry. I actually agreed with her during the interview.

The next three were for corporate communications positions in Citibank, the Singapore Land Authority and the Alliance Francaise.


Citibank posed serious questions; I don't even remember half of them now. As far as I can recall, I wrote something about leadership. I think I answered intelligently although I remember racking my brains and wondering if it was what I really wanted, spending my time writing up masterpieces that put this leader of the banking industry high up on a pedestal.

SLA required me to write an opinion piece on cab drivers. I think I had to choose from a few choices, just like the English composition exam back in school. How typical of the civil service.

The Alliance Francaise test was at least practical and the dossier they gave me, very interesting. I was to write a press release for two separate exhibitions by a couple of France's most renowned photographers, Henri-Cartier Bresson and Robert Doisneau. I eventually went to both exhibitions last June and gained insight into photography as an artform, especially snap-shooting that Bresson is so famous for.

Last Friday, I went to what must have been the fun-nest written test at Mediacorp. There were three parts that we had to complete, a piece each on concept, critique and script-writing. For two hours, I was in la-la land, especially the concept part, dreaming up sequences that I would like to see on tv. I think I provided reasonably interesting story ideas and sound critique, so I'm just now hoping for them to think likewise.

I pray hard
for this new hope
it will blossom into something beautiful
it will fulfill a dream
ten years in the making

Entertainment is something that I really wanna do.