Saturday, April 21, 2007

J'adore Babar


... not that I know any other French elephant, but yeah, Babar is my favourite French elephant, and one of the few cartoons that I adore outside Disney's.

My first encounter with Babar was bitter. Well, none to do with the character or the show, but I was down with food poisoning, thanks to some chicken rice balls that I ate (my grandma was ill too). I've since shunned those things, no matter how famous they've become around the world. I just refuse to eat them.

So funnily now, even as I think of the bitterness of food poisoning, I am smiling, reminiscing the first episode of Babar and the little orphan elephant who was adopted by Madame and raised in Paris to finally return to the jungle to reclaim the throne.

[the story of Babar]



I was in Mulhouse, France when I picked up a set of Babar figurines from a local toyshop. In my haste, alas, i picked the set with Arthur, Celeste's brother, not the one with Flora. It's really strange how they even had such varieties. Well, anyway, I gotta return to France soon to find Flora and complete Babar's family.