Sunday, April 15, 2007

Weekend of Friday the 13th


I'm happy.

Another one of those unexpected random things that inexplicably, thoroughly warms my heart.

At the risk of sounding cheesy, Danny Messer finally realises how important gutsy rookie Lindsay Monroe is to him on CSI:NY. The frantic yell for Lindsay when her cover was blown in the company of unscrupulous diamond smugglers and that countenance of immense relief when he heard her small voice call his name amidst the fog of tear gas ... priceless...

The pair have been chummy since they first met last season when she replaced the fired Aiden (whom I can't stand and whose death became the unit's case later in the season). The chemistry is strong; they are always joking and teasing each other. I'm glad its producers have the good sense to bring the soft side out of TV's most street-smart, coolest CSI franchise - my favourite CSI.

There might be pitfalls though.

Remember Nancy Drew and Ned Nickerson? I was a Nancy Drew fan for the earlier books but as her romance with Ned took centrestage later on, my respect for her as a sleuth faded. It was like she belonged to Sweet Valley High more than River Heights where a brainy girl called Nancy was always smelling out crime! Nevertheless, it will be fun to catch the Nancy Drew movie when it hits theatres this summer, for old time's sake.

So as long as workplace romance takes a backseat to crime scene investigation, I'll be rooting for the pairing of Danny and Lindsay. He pops the question next week; what's Lindsay's take on it?

The 20th Singapore International Film Festival kicked off last week. While the number of films in the main programme seems to have shrunk this year with some sponsors backing out, free movie marathons at the Goethe Institute seem to have ballooned, spilling over to the Substation.

On Saturday, we caught a documentary on 60s rock 'n roll band LOVE at the Goethe Institute. We had no idea who they were, but the almost-2-hour narrative-documentary was mostly poignant because it wasn't till the end that we all realised most of the band members who had been interviewed were already dead.

A combination of 'being at the wrong place at the wrong time' and drugs did them in. It left me to wonder ... what is it in the entertainment business that leads so many promising young talents to drug addiction which brings them eventual damnation? That's a constant pattern, past and present.

Some great music from the band's repertoire, and great punch lines from frontman Arthur Lee, made LOVE fun to watch. We skipped the 141-minute classic from German director Rainer Werner Fassbinder but would return later for the KAFA animation (Korean).

We adjourned to this cozy arty eatery on Killiney Road for a 2-hour girl chat and Japan appreciation. Pauline had just returned from a great trip to Honshu. Her stories left me heady with wanderlust. My recent obsession with Murakami, Death Note, Studio Ghibli, etc ... and my sister's constant praise for Hana Yori Dango (HYD) have put me in a very pro-Japan mood. After the KAFA screening, which featured some quirky, some interesting stories, I headed for Daiso to grab some Jap snacks for a late-night screening of HYD2 at home. I also picked up some udon noodles which I'd cook for dinner because Pauline's pictures of the noodles have stimulated my salivatory glands beyond control!

So that's the weekend for me. Not doing anything very much but kind of fulfilling.

And oh ... there's almost nothing to update on Elvin Ng, until an hour ago (ugly shirt by the way ... very un-Elvin). He was at the Ritz Carlton attending a Gucci fashion show the very night I was supposed to attend my company's birthday bash for March-April babies, which I had plotted for a month to wriggle out of, which of course, I did.

Hmm ... no wonder there was a funny feeling that maybe it wouldn't be too bad if I went; with so many people also attending, the chance of any private conversation with boss would be close to nil. In any case, he had already cornered me in the office earlier that week for an 'opinion-sharing session'. And the food was bound to be good. And I might bump into a certain celebrity.

Elaine, it's a whole new journey for you tomorrow. Enjoy the ride! I'm sure you will :) See you next Sunday.