Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Filling Up The Half-Full Glass?


I got a call from Mediacorp today. The last time I received a call from them was in Nov 05 for a Harry Potter contest that I won, which was one of the craziest things I've done but that's quite another story I'll save for another day with a different mood.

Today, I'm ecstatic.

The call was in response to my application for the position of "Research Writer" that I sent quite some time ago, which I had deemed ended up in the HR trash like countless other prior applications. If only they knew how badly I wanted it!

I've been invited to a written test this Friday morning. While it doesn't promise anything as yet, it is HOPE. I see the half-full glass just slightly fuller. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'd make it through all the way; the glass will fill to its brim.

Strange this has to come a day after discussing dreams with my friend and a casual chat with my sis about how telecommunications, or the lack of, had altered my destiny.

In the days of pagers, when I was still a student, I once made a cold call for a vacation job with LIME magazine. They called my pager, I didn't see it till the next day and because I was staying at the hostel, phone facilities were limited. By the time I managed to place a call back, the position had been filled. If telecommunications had been more 'advanced' then, my name would probably have been on the editorial panel of that magazine, or some of its cohorts, for several years now.

Or maybe that had been a blessing in disguise, for because of that miss, I had the chance to dabble in video production, interactive design, trends research and hopefully in the near future, TV.

Meifeng gave birth to a baby girl this morning. Her name is Cheryl. Both mother and daughter are doing great; I can't wait to see them.

What a truly happy day.