Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Rebel's Return To Innocence


Elvin was the first celebrity on a new segment of Shan Wee's late night show - "Celeb Control" - last night (err ... this morning?)

It was kind of Shan to announce at the start of his programme that Elvin was due in at 12 midnight and would play DJ for an hour. I haven't been listening much to Perfect 10 (or Power 98) these days, which I practically glued my ears to everyday previously, due to an influx of 'gangsta' music that I fail to appreciate. The time I spent on P10 last night was the longest in quite a while. Lol.

Well, anyway, Elvin came on right on the dot. (Poor guy, does he ever sleep?) Bright, cheery, cheeky and armed with a very agreeable playlist. I was grinning from ear to ear rocking to my favourite songs that Elvin incidentally picked :) although I would later suffer from a rare case of insomnia.


d(@.@)b

Class of 69 by Bryan Adams
E on why he picked the song: "It's from my JC and at that time, I was obssessed with listening to Bryan Adams."

Can't Take My Eyes Off You by Frankie Valli
(Thanks to E, I found out who the original singer to this 'Lauren Hill song' was. While hers has a unique R&B flavour, this version is more sensual and really very nice. I like it very much.)

Return to Innocence by Enigma
(By this song, I was trouncing my bed. I just couldn't believe that he picked all my favourite songs! I haven't heard Enigma in quite a while and this song just completely lifted my spirits so high up I could see insomnia peeking over my sleep horizon)
E on why he picked this song: "Sometimes I like to listen to this type of music to relax especially when I'm driving home."

Geek In The Pink by Jason Mraz
(I almost fainted that E liked this song because I loved it so much! Jason Mraz is da bomb!)
E on why he picked this song: "I like it because it's unconventional. Maybe rebellious."

The word "rebel" popped up many times during the hour including why he enjoyed Asian and African, post-colonial literature - he liked the rebelling spirit of the people who fought hard for their own destiny. Little did he surprise me with the answer to his choice of the following song, his rebellious streak shining through -

From This Moment by Shania Twain
(I wonder if he knows the story behind this song. Shania wrote it after her parents died in an accident. It's a tribute to their love that was unfortunately, perpetuated in death but from that moment (of the accident) on, they'd be together forever)
E on why he picked this song: "She's pretty (laughs) I like older women." Shan asked, "How old is too old?" E said, "There's no too old as long as you are young at heart." Shan teased, "Even if she's 45?" E laughed, "That's too old. I think about 35."

With Or Without You by U2
(Faint second time. Did he see that 'sold-at-U2-concerts-only' badge on my diary when he signed it? Should have sneaked him a peek at the U2 Sydney concert ticket from the back of my diary - he would have been so envious! Alright, I'm not sure how big a fan he is, but who can resist a U2 concert? Surely not Elvin the Rebel!)

Never Let You Go by Third Eye Blind
E on why he picked this song: "It's during my army days. I bought this CD and listened to it everyday before going out to training." Shan asked, " What's your favourite army memory?" E replied, "I'd rather not remember anything from those days. There were happy times but I don't like this constriction thing."

Truly, Madly, Deeply by Savage Garden
(When he wrapped his segment up with this song, I had no doubt why he's my favourite artiste. Even his musical taste is flawless :)

Today, I was hoping Shan would be super-efficient and have the podcast ready but as expected, it's a NO. I figure it won't be till after this Sunday, when there's a repeat of the show at 2pm (that means 3pm for Celeb Control) so don't miss it!

Instead, I discovered podcasts of an interview with my favourite-est DJ and musician BT when he was in town last September.