Thursday, March 22, 2007

Stuck In A Moment That I Can't Get Out Of


It's around this time last year that I started with my current company. How time flies, it's been almost a year.

How time flies, it's been almost a week since my good friend-colleague handed in her resignation last Friday.

Today, we had 2 new Trends additions. One's a web consultant and the other, a researcher who holds a Masters degree from Stanford. Whoa. Do I feel a bit inadequate here? I am really not sure.

JY made an interesting prediction to LG today. That I'd be the next after EC to leave. Not that the thought hasn't constantly been on my mind. But finding a suitable job is really, really tough. Have I driven myself into a corner by being too adamant about what I want to do that it's teetering on the brink of unrealism, way out of reach?

Since the arrival of our new research manager, I begin to see a glimmer of hope. He brings with him sound knowledge and a wealth of experience in research methods, unlike our 'bosses' who are pretty much clueless most of the time. Besides, he's French, so I'm looking forward to rekindling my abandoned passion with the most beautiful language in the world :)

Plus, I can't shake off my wanderlust. Much as I complain about tiresome business trips, the chance to step foot on the most exotic countries of Asia and the Middle-east excite me tremendously. I do not know where else in the working world can afford me this "free" travel. Unless I become a travel writer? But that's really hard to find, and even harder to hitch.

So, given these considerations, I'm thinking why not take a look-and-see approach?

And then, U2 sings "Don't say that later will be better, now you're stuck in a moment and you can't get out of it"

Frustrated, I watched Maid To Order 3 featuring ... ELVIN NG! Lol. See, I've tried hard not to blog about him but how can I when he keeps popping up everywhere everyday?!

Well, anyway, his assignment was in Pulau Ubin. His tasks were to clean the toilet, buy groceries and cook a meal or an old lady who had injured her foot. He didn't mess up but didn't exactly perform spectacularly though there were some shining moments like -
1) When asked to scrub mould from the tub, he asked for a demo first (duh!)
2) When he asked Pat Mok how to read 'ka fei fen' (coffee powder) and then blamed his inaptitude at Chinese on her 'illegible' writing
3) When he wanted to put oyster sauce and soy sauce into the fish porridge that he was making (really hope he was just kidding there - ever seen black fish porridge before eh?!)

The shoot was 3 weeks ago, on a Saturday. Incidentally, my foot got injured the day after that (like it had wanted the same royal treatment!) but I didn't get no porridge :(

HA HA HA -- Stress relieved. Sigh.