Sunday, March 25, 2007

Mosaic Dreams

Slumber Sunday, Mosaic Dreams

Some sneak peeps at the FREE Mosaic Music Festival performances Pauline and I went to last Friday (16 March). Too bad Fauzie didn't manage to come with us cuz she was ill (later found out that she passed out on the train on the way to work ... poor girl!)

I was excited all week about the show, especially since I missed Baybeats last year and this year's show won't happen till August. August?!! Hasn't it always been July?

We had wanted a quick bite and The Soup Spoon came to mind. I'm still a fan despite the grisly murder of the store supervisor by the restaurant's chef one Saturday ago. It seemed many people were still fans too. We couldn't find seats and decided to just pack sandwiches and went on to the Nokia Music Station, an outdoor concert venue at the Esplanade, by the rivermouth. There's a bigger venue further in called Nokia Powerhouse. Great promotional strategy and extremely targeted at music lovers for their N-Series (incidentally, I've checked out the N95 and feeling lusty for that beauty with a brain this very instant :)

Friday's show showcased indie bands and aptly named Indie-mand. We missed the first act, Goose from Thailand. The second act was a young band from Singapore - Allura. Though not hugely impressed by the performance, I was by their burning passion for music and being able to do something about it.

Music is not just a display of talent and creativity but a great channel to communicate thoughts and feelings, release angst and steam and preach rhetoric and logic that can hopefully help someone. I wish I had that. But I don't. So I will just sit back and soak in the wild enthusiasm and be inspired to act on things which are within my means.

The grand finale was by Lilac Saints. I didn't know they had been around for so long - winners of the Best/Favourite Musical Act award from Perfect 10 in 1996. Boy, were they good! Am especially smitten with guitarist Baskar's skills with the strings.

I made it home in time for Hui Ching's 24th birthday celebration at midnight. Oink! ^(oo)^

It had been quite a happening week last week. Spent Monday at the movies watching The History Boys. It was great fun, made me terribly nostalgic about the old good school days and thinking how right Mom had been about cherishing those best years of our lives, but the characters were just ... weird. In the end, even the least likely person was sexually disoriented. Hmm ... does it make good drama or simply an insight into the real world of all-boys schools? Intelligent boys, at that, cementing the suspicion that it's a calculated choice, not a foolish misdemeanor.

On Thursday, met up with my university clique - 4 girls (ladies?) including me - 2 singles, 1 already a mom of a toddler girl and 1 is on the way to her first baby within these couple of weeks. It's usually kinda pressurizing for me to be hanging out with the uni-clique cuz they talk about 'serious' things. This time, it was babies, maids and cars. Earlier, it was choice of career and financial planning. No Baybeats or Mosaic or hunks.

Very serious, real-life issues that I do not want to spend my leisure moments pondering over, thank you very much. Nevertheless, it was good to be in touch and to see that everyone's doing well and happy despite some grouches about the difficulties with maids, gynaes and the constricted spaces of smaller cars.

And then, there was Friday. And there were effervescent images of dream-chasing talented people whose passion ignited the fire in us to hold our seats in the sweltering breeze-less evening by the Singapore River, feet tapping to the beats and ears ringing well into the weekend.

d(@.@)b