Monday, February 26, 2007

Happily Itching


: A great way to spend a wet afternoon ... hmmm .... only with some 50 other girls! Haha ...

It rained and it rained and it rained for at least 2 hours yesterday. We, of Elvinology, the fan club as certified by Elvin himself :), gathered at this beautiful house at Yio Chu Kang. The hosts, though I'm not quite sure how they came about to host this lovely event, were very gracious. Thank you to Jean and family!

We waited and we waited and we waited since 3 pm. Elvin turned up only at around 5. Soaking wet. Not from the rain but the poor guy was perspiring profusely. I wondered if he parked some serious distance away from the house, or was dropped off at some inconvenient location, that he had to jog up the winding lanes of this posh neighbourhood to keep our date. Aww ... Elvin, your tardiness is forgiven! In fact, it's forgiven the moment his sunshine smile dried up the rain (well, not literally but still ...) as he came up the walkway with a bag of crunchy (yes!) nougats.

We, Elves, had a great time yesterday. Definitely my best CNY in years.

And as I rolled these memories over, I realised that this star-chasing craze is some sort of a 7-year itch! Haha ...

FLASHBACK to 1999, I went ballistic with pop stars. A trip to the airport to welcome Jordan Knight (former New Kids On The Block), then chased all the way to some club at Scotts Road (the name of which I have duly forgotten) for his mini concert (which I had to scheme a little to get into since I didn't have the 'rightful' ticket :). Then, there was the BBMak mini performance outside Carrefour and their in-store signing at Tower Records. And ... (to my horror now but it was absolutely exciting then) Westlife's very first performance at the Rock Auditorium courtesy of LIME Magazine, the tickets to which I had to queue an hour for!! I think I began to dig NSYNC this year too (which I would continue to obsess over, over the next few years, culminating with a trip to El Paso, Texas to see them in concert and I have not given up on JC Chasez yet!).

That's madness. That's also madness that came after a lull of some 7 years or so since Step By Step, the final hit album of New Kids On The Block, my first star idols!

NOW in 2007 (actually it began in July 2006), I am miraculously head over heels over Asian stars. Mind you, I only had eyes for those gorgeous Western hunks! Maybe I've finally found my roots after a good beat round the bush. Maybe, as people get older, they seek to re-connect with who they were born into, who they really are. Or maybe, it's simply just that these days, the western world of music is infested with pointless, eyesore brawn, blond and bling.

Elvin wears his bling really well though. I'm not putting up any pictures because the gathering was at a private residence and I think it is only right the privacy of the kind hosts is preserved. As for details of the gathering, they are all recorded in that little diary of mine, whose magic finally came alive yesterday (~_~)