Friday, December 05, 2008

Wanderlust with a meaning


Must be the recent unfortunate events in India, and the year grinding to a close, and me feeling extremely thankful for first being alive, and then having a great job that I enjoy and being surrounded by wonderful people in my life everyday, and the fact that my friend is now out there in Beichuan lending a helping hand in settling the earthquake survivors for the imminent winter which can be bitter like last year's, that I feel I should be doing my part for the greater good.

Wish I could join him. Wonder how long his activity there will last cuz I have 5 days of leave to clear this year with nowhere specific in mind for a holiday. Why not wind up 2008 and usher in 2009 with something meaningful like heading out to Beichuan to see what I can do for the people there, even for a brief 2 weeks or so?

The girls (story on Boston.com) remind me of the ones I met last year at the Qiang village 萝卜寨 (also destroyed in the quake). They need help. What can I offer? I'll ask!!! \(^___^*)/

Children receive winter clothes donated by a group of volunteers as they line up preparing to leave the temporary school near the quake-hit Beichuan county on Friday, Nov. 7, 2008. (AP Photo/Andy Wong)

A young girl helps to arrange belongings as she moves into a new house, leaving her temporary tent housing with her family at the Leigu Township on November 25, 2008 in Beichuan County, China. Reconstruction work is accelerated in the province as those still living in makeshift houses prepare for challenging winter weather. According to state media, over 15.6 million houses were damaged in the May 12 Sichuan Earthquake and the Chinese government plans to spend three years to rebuild infrastructure and homes.(China Photos/Getty Images)