Sunday, December 28, 2008

Ponyo is a MUST WATCH!


Sweetest ever. How I miss the genius and beauty of those cel-shade 2D animations.

Ponyo is so delightful, it's so worth watching repeatedly. I hope it comes out on Blu-ray soon!! Absolutely my second favourite film of the year after WALL-E v(^___^*)v.

Well, it's not so thought-provoking as WALL-E but every bit as beautiful and emotionally-engaging as the love of the old robot and his hi-tech girlfriend.

Ponyo is the strange girlfriend from the deep sea. It is essentially The Little Mermaid but Japanese style, that means a great deal more kawaii than even Ariel. The storyline is not the least bit true to the Hans Christian Andersen fairytale, except for the essence of loving someone for who she (he) really is.

It's also quite a departure from Miyazaki's older films which always had several layers of story-telling going on (think Spirited Away) but Ponyo is very linear. It makes for fabulous children entertainment and even more awe-inspiring for those of us kidults with that child in us struggling to be let loose (^___^*)

Oh and you'll be so pleasantly surprised by the end credit roll ... I guess if you're as dorky as I am ... haha. Well, yeah, I'm a fish ... now I know why I'm always so sleepyzzzzzzz ... v(^___^*)v

The film is 100 minutes or so but for me, it was over at the bat of an eyelid! Hey, any film that doesn't have me counting minutes is an awesome film for I'm a real impatient person for a couch potato. Hehe ...

I also saw Bolt yesterday ... ahh hate to say this of a Disney film but it's just an ok film cuz I checked my watch a couple of times. Not bad but not that great either. Just watchable. Guess Disney's at its best making those gorgeous, magical cel-shade animations! I'll be looking forward to having them bring the craft back into their productions and let the Pixar boys be in their element creating 3D magic.