Sunday, December 14, 2008

Independent films from China


I'm glad to have attended the 3 screenings of the New Realist Cinema: Independent Films from China, having regretfully missed the other 2 on Thu and Fri nights - arrrghhhh!!

The films from underground young Chinese film-makers can never be shown in mainstream Chinese cinema (just like Royston Tan's 15 could not be shown in Singapore theatres when it was first released) because they highlight the ugliest side of Chinese society, which traces back to a lackadaisical government more concerned with upkeeping a prosperous image like the one it successfully pulled off on the world stage during the Olympics.

The first 2 films were documentaries while the third was a feature film which also carried a deep social message. All three films examined the moral values of new China amidst relentless material pursuits. Interestingly, I came across this interesting discussion today on the moral values, or the lack of it, of Mainland Chinese.

The first film, 活了一分钟,快活六十秒 (For Every Minute I Live, I Enjoy 60 Seconds), featured a narrative of the life a man left behind by China's rapid progress over the last 30 years. It's an interesting "ethnographic" peek into the man, a divorcee named Dagang's down-and-out life, void of ambitions because he believes there wasn't anything he could do to reverse his "fate".

His motto is exactly the film's title. I thought it interesting, very optimistic. I could also relate to the rationale of not dwelling issues which are unsolvable (because I have the tendency to worry too much, mostly unnecessarily, a habit I'm dying to kick).

I think such films provide a window to the state of China today beyond what's reported in official news sources. Great source for research ... hmmm ... how do I get my hands on those tapes??