Friday, February 29, 2008

Leap Year


Feb 29. Just another day?

For me, yes. Yet another day at work. Well, a few "different" things happened today too, some of which I am not at the liberty of mentioning up here yet, just in case.

It's sad to say farewell to one my closest colleagues today. But as usual, I'm truly happy for him that he's found another place where he can embark on the next phase of professional growth. Yet, the workplace will be much quieter and lacklustre without him. And I'll have one less confidante to share my grouses with. Sigh ...

After coffee with a couple of colleagues (yes, we shared our grouses), I rode the NEL home as usual. A little girl, about 4, boarded the train with her mom around Boon Keng or so. She's such a little bundle of Sunshine! Let me tell you why.

When the lady beside the little girl alighted, the girl urged another lady standing in front of her to take the seat. She was so earnest that the lady who was hesitant at first, finally had no choice but to sit down. Then, the little girl started chatting to her, leading me to think that they probably knew each other. But no! They were complete strangers! It was Little Miss Sunshine who basically brought the cheer on.

And when we all alighted at Sengkang, Sunshine said goodbye to me and an old lady next to me. She completely turned my dreary day around. There is so much optimism in her that it seems nothing could go wrong. The sad part is, as she continues this journey of life, how much and how fast will dark clouds move in to hide the bright Sunshine? Is that inevitable?

Alright ... it's not right of me to paint a bleak picture of the future at the start of the weekend :) In any case, I am still optimistically hopeful about many things. Just that I'm a little tired of playing the waiting game. Nevertheless ...

HAPPY WEEKEND! Let's MARCH on.