Sunday, October 25, 2009

Portraits


I absolutely adore them. They are the easiest to capture, they are also the hardest. They are emotions to the brim, or they could be completely void of them. But somehow, they are never confusing. There is always one unique story that each one of them tells.

However hard I try to my hand at the art of photography, and particularly that of portraits, my own pictures always pale in comparison to what I find on National Geographic. Like this one, I feel so compelled to write about it just by virtue of the picture, as it resonates with my own memories of what I've seen in the poorest parts of China, India, Bangladesh, Egypt. And it reminds me that if happiness can be built on so little, why do I need so much?

Enjoy.

Photo and caption by Leslie Alsheimer

October 19, 2009

It is the light, it is the curl in the corners of the mouth, the sparkle in the eyes, and the unedited and untainted laughter. It is a child that does not yet understand the meaning of poverty. It is the child that has not yet seen the violence and destruction so prevalent in the world. It is the child that lost their mother to AIDS or child birthing complications, yet remains joyous and youthful despite the suffering. Dignity: The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.