Thursday, October 29, 2009

MFA


Hmmm ... for the first time in possibly 10 years that I'm seriously contemplating further education (I did roll it in my mind for a bit after I graduated and the economy wasn't doing too well). Perhaps I've been hanging around too many people with such thoughts lately.

Earlier this year, a colleague left to further her studies in Chicago. Then, a friend accompanied her husband to Chicago for his post-grad studies right after their wedding. Now, another friend in Shanghai is mugging for the admission exams to the masters programme at a prestigious university, after which he hopes to further his studies in the US, likely to be Chicago too. An old friend from back in university days who is now doing well in Hong Kong wants to get a PhD degree "before it's too late".

Most importantly, a professor from the Department of Design of the Ohio State University had been sitting next to me in the office for the past 2 days. It's one of the best universities in the US for design-related courses (comparable to Ivy League schools). The faculty is comprised of some of the most well-known names in design research like Liz Sanders.

Today, I found out that I could join the programme as a research fellow or something ... meaning I assist the professors in research work while undergoing my masters course. In return, my course fees would be fully covered and on top of that, I'd be paid a reasonable amount that should cover my living expenses plus occasional leisure travel. Whoa ... Daniel's encouraging me to take this up for he was one of the recipients and today, he's the UX/Design Research practitioner I admire the most.


So I'm certainly going to give it some very serious thought. I've even come up with my pitch for the Statement of Intent. It's a goal I wanna achieve as a design researcher, and this MFA might give me just that. And I'll be fulfilling my dream of studying in the US, and living in a foreign environment for an extended period.

(^___^*)

Besides, since there may never be snow in my life, I might as well head over there to experience the bitter winter of Columbus.