Friday, June 26, 2009

So Jacko died ...


That was the first thing I heard this morning and all day ever since (honestly I'm quite tired of it now). I was not surprised at all when I saw the news on TV Mobile (Channel News Asia segment). In fact, I didn't really feel anything except for oh ... he died. Michael Jackson is no more.

I stepped into the office and colleagues told me he's dead. My reply, yah and so? A friend SMSed and my reply, I was more shocked when I heard Heath Ledger died. A few other friend Plurked and I said pretty much the same. At the end of the day, as I was about to leave the office, our HR lady said she woke up very sad this morning because Michael died. I said it was expected. She was shocked by my answer (probably thinking I had a hand with the crystal ball? Hehe ... ) I said, well, because he's already so screwed up.

Oops ... that's what I think but somehow the words had come out somewhat callous, especially to someone who is a mourning fan. I felt a bit sorry afterwards. But that is what I really think about the death of Jacko. Sure, no one doubts he's probably one of the greatest artistes ever. Sure, we all mourn his passing. But no, his death is not entirely unexpected. The man has undergone tremendous pressure all his life. We have seen umpteen times in the media, whether they were maliciously defaming him or reporting the truth, but his state of mind could very well be splintering.

This morning (or last evening depending where you are), his heart simply stopped beating. It did not want the man to tolerate the nonsense that this world was tossing him anymore. Death may not be the most welcoming ending but it may not be entirely bad for Jacko. It could even be a relief.

One colleague commented that the only sad part is that Jacko was on the verge of staging a comeback and now he'll never be able to do so. But if the comeback had not gone in his favour, and shit continues to be hurled at him by the unsympathetic, even vicious, arms of the entertainment machine. Then, what?

In the words of another indifferent colleague when asked if he's sad with Jacko's passing, "Why? He died a legend." Oh yes, he most brilliantly summed it up in 5 words.