Friday, April 10, 2009

Chuzenji-ko


Today's highlight is undoubtedly the Chuzenji-ko (Lake). Woke up quite early this morning, expecting to quickly tour the temples and shrines which come with my Nikko World Heritage Pass (which I'd recommend you not get it unless you're really into shrines ... better to get the All Nikko Pass that gives access to all the natural wonders beyond temples), so that I could spend the rest of the day trekking the Kegon Falls (the highest in Japan) and the Chuzenji-ko.

Another day with awesome weather. As I walked down to the train station, snow covered mountains rolled past ... I wondered why I didn't notice yesterday? Did it snow in the mountains just last night? Yep, it's chillier today than yesterday, which according to the lodge's staff, was the hottest in Nikko. Maybe it's at the turn of the season.

While I had the most blissful day today, there're 2 disappointments :( Firstly, the sakura has not bloomed yet. The long winding road up to Chuzenji-ko is covered with bald / budding sakura trees ... I can just imagine them when the flowers are in full bloom! Next week perhaps? Hmm ... I'm very tempted to make another day trip here albeit extremely time squeezed! Secondly, I realised after I arrived that the hiking trail is still closed for "winter". But the optimist in me thinks that's probably good too since I could enjoy the beautiful tranquility of Chuzenji-ko with leisurely walks, or simply just bumming along with chilly winds and warm (sometimes quite scorching) sunshine.

Enuf words. Pix now.

Nikko Park Lodge where I stay here in Nikko. A tad far from the train station (about 15 mins walk but not too bad). The place is great, the staff are wonderful. I'll be back!

View on the way from the lodge to the train station.

Kegon Falls and Chuzenji-ko from afar ... where the hiking trail is supposed to begin. Took the ropeway instead to get to this viewing plateau. The 710 yen I paid for this quick trip - not worth it. Go straight to the lake and falls by bus (return ticket from Nikko train/bus station to Chuzenji Onsen = 2,000 yen).

Outside the ropeway station. I offered a young Japanese couple to take a picture of them when they were desperately trying to set up the timer ... and they returned the favour.

The Kegon Falls upclose at Chuzenji-ko. The water is from the lake.

Chuzenji-ko at mid-day.




Can't resist the feet shots!


A wild monkey. It wanted to raid a guy with chips in his pocket and followed him for a while. Guy managed to fend it off, the monkey returned to munching grass.

Found a great spot for resting my camera with the timer on. Took a bunch of silly self portraits. Not showing! (^___^*)

Here's the sweet spot. No kidding. Thought I'd return when the sun's softer but they already sealed it off even while I was still there ... :(

Japanesque!

Nikko.

Cute la! Can buy 4D too. Numbers on the 4 boats - 5187.


Hee hee ... look better in picture than in real form (^,^*)

Felt so blissful sitting under this tree, in the shade, cold breeze in my face, munching a bag of rice crackers. Ahhhh!

Waiting for the sun to set. More self-portraits. I'm getting good at it.

No story to the shell. Just pretty. Pretty things don't need much explanation (^___^*)

Embracing the light!



He just arrived to fish at dusk. Think it makes a cool pix ... casting the net in the reflection of the buildings and in the shadows of the mountain.



Love this feeling ... this is so much like Wanaka, South Island, NZ. Love it so much.

Nagano tomorrow. Stay tuned \(^___^*)/