Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hermit for too long


I went to the Malaysian High Commission to renew my passport this morning. "Knowing" from memory that there was a OCBC outlet at the Orchard MRT, I didn't bother to withdraw the money for the payment last night. But alas, upon arrival at the station, I found that the space where OCBC used to be was under renovation. So I walked all the way the next known ATM in Wisma Atria. I still haven't gotten over my immense dislike of the new Orchard MRT exit location - super far from Wisma. And just when do they plan to re-open the connecting tunnel to Wisma?

At the High Comm, things were pretty breezy albeit busy. There were many people but the entire process was not unbearable. Not to say that the service's any better than back home, except for the friendly uncle who's helping out at the photo booth, who kindly answered my questions and who exchanged money with me when the cashier declared she had no change. How to be a cashier when you're not stocked with small change? Imagine Carrefour telling its long queue of customers it's run out of change.

So anyway, after about 1.5 hours at the High Comm, I was out and headed for the Central Library at Bras Basah, only to find it closed for a staff event until 2 pm this afternoon. Gee ... and I'd thought I could kill time comfortably while waiting to collect my new passport after 2.30 pm. I might as well just go hang out at Borders. But I've made an appointment and since I'm already here ... I'll just make do with the cold stone floor at the "stage area" outside the library.

In just a bit, I'll be meeting an insurance agent ... just to find out how I could perhaps manage my finances more efficiently. And especially in this increasingly uncertain world, I don't wanna take chances. I've also realised that compared to many to many friends my age, Ive had a solid long-term financial plan, at least in my opinion, so it's probably time to learn more.

Hope my battery can last till then!