Monday, June 16, 2008

Totally Tokyo! Pt. 3


Wed to Fri, we spent most of the day at the Interior Lifestyle exhibition. Wed evening, as Wei Eng had planned to meet her friend, I decided to hang around Odaiba and took a walk to Venus Fort where the Tokyo Eye was. On the way, I had to cross this bridge near the Fuji TV building and stumbled upon a film crew (I supposed it's Fuji TV) filming a live action anime (think Power Rangers type). It's kinda cool cuz even in Singapore, I've hardly (never?) run into a film crew (unless it's my own ... hehe ... ) but I've run into Japanese film crews TWICE! Once last year at Luobuozhai (萝卜寨) and this year, in Odaiba. Had okonomiyaki (which we drooled at in Vietnam last year) for dinner - how filling!

Thu evening, we headed out to Yurakucho where Wei Eng said there's a big Muji store ... indeed, it was several stories of Muji temptation. I bought a good-looking bag which happened to be on sale and a travel pouch for passport, cash and cards; felt pretty satisfied with my purchase ... hehe ...

Fri evening, I headed out to Asakusa again for some last minute food shopping (which I later found that I could get similar crackers at Narita for about the same price!). I was getting late and I was running out of cash (despite borrowing 10,000 yen from Wei Eng) so I decided to return to the hotel for dinner.

I had wanted to try the Jap restaurant on the 21st floor but it seemed forbidding. Then I looked at the Chinese menu and was extremely tempted by 四川饺子 (Sichuan dumplings) - miss Sichuan cuisine so much that I broke my self-inflicted law of not eating anything other than Jap cuisine! I ordered har gao, lotus leaf glutinous rice, shrimp dumplings, wanton soup and of course, 四川饺子. Oiishi! Quite a whopping meal, all for myself.

Then Saturday came. Initially Wei Eng and I had planned to head out to Tsukiji for a final sashimi meal before leaving Tokyo this afternoon. Unfortunately, Wei Eng had stomach flu so the feast trip was cancelled. I wasn't too disappointed cuz I got to sleep late. Still, I decided to wake at about 8.35 am to seize the most of the day and head out to Harajuku for some Cosplay entertainment :)

As I was washing up, I felt myself sway and thought I was having a dizzy spell. Then I realised the door was swaying and there was some rattling noise in the room like the structures were knocking against each other. EARTHQUAKE! I was more excited than afraid; after all, the Japanese must experience hundreds of such tremors a year. I dismissed it as nothing too serious, or perhaps I had imagined it after all. It was later in the afternoon while I was riding the JR line that I learned that several shinkansen services had be disrupted due to an earthquake. So that was real after all.

Takeshita Street was interesting, with tempting fashion including cosplay costumes, and shops selling J-Pop and soccer idol paraphernalia. Idolisation is big in Japan!

I also went to the Meiji shrine. There, I made a few wishes, including some which I wrote on a wooden plate which I hung along with others around a sacred tree where ceremonies will be held every morning and evening for blessings from the Gods. Think my wishes can come true here! I also saw a few wedding ceremonies being held there at the Meiji temple. Way cool! Almost like a sign from above. Haha ...

Then it's off to the airport :( And that's the end of my Tokyo trip this time ... but I'll be back very soon!! (~_~)