Saturday, June 28, 2008

距离


I wanted to take it easy today. I did. But in all the light-heartedness and precious little things that made me smile, there are some others that put me in pensive thought.

Distance. 距离. Is it because of my free-spiritedness, my will to be independent, my wanderlust, that distance is a constant factor of my existence, for better or worse?

Woke up by instinct at 9.30 am to catch Doraemon. I'm so hooked on this robot cat now that I wonder how it could have taken me so long to start liking it! This episode, Doraemon and Nobita helped a couple realise their feelings for each when the guy from Tokyo had to go home. But thanks to Doraemon and Nobita, this pair of sweethearts will be separated by distance but at least they know they loved each other.

世界上最遥远的距离
不是 我不能说我想你
而是 彼此相爱 却不能够在一起

I went to catch Prince Caspian at GV Tampines Mall, the only place in Singapore that shows it today. I was a little early so after getting the ticket, I went window shopping. Some "vintage" jewellery at one of the carts caught my eye so I went to check them out. Before long, I realised a little girl was checking me out too! Lol ... she's an ang moh girl, and she took a picture of me looking at the necklaces. Plus she used my tactic for taking people shots - snap, smile, sprint! Haha ... kawaii!

Prince Caspian was actually better than I'd expected (well, he's not as cute as I'd expected though). Maybe it's expectations; many people have said that it's very average; the bad part being it's too similar to The Return of the King. Otherwise, I found that at least it was funny, engaging and at some points, really set me thinking (though I cannot remember half of that now).

Well, I can remember three of them though.

The part when Peter defeated the Prince Caspian's uncle, the handphone of someone in the audience went "phew phew!" - you know, the wistle ringtone that comes with older Sony Ericsson phones. The timeliness was hilarious ... what a cheer to Peter's victory!

Haha ... how Susan turns her nose up at the "boy from the school across the street" and goes for Prince Caspian of a world so different yet so akin to hers. How CS Lewis realised almost a hundred years ago that diversity can be strength; in fact greater strength, for everyone is special in a unique way. And if a team is made up of all specialty areas, it's got the grounds covered and victory is almost certain.

By the way, does the original story have a sub-plot of Susan and Prince Caspian? My heart ached at the look in his eyes (did I see this somewhere else?) when he said, "You're never coming back?" And she said, "You and I will never be. I'm 1300 years older than you." Would it work better if it was just 3?

世界上最遥远的距离
不是 我站在你面前 你不知道我爱你
而是 明知道真爱无敌 却装作毫不在意

Distance makes one's heart grow fonder. Even after a year.

时间不是距离.