Saturday, May 24, 2008

Sichuan and New York


Remembering in the aftermath of 911, whenever Enrique Iglesias' and Mariah Carey's Hero or Sarah McLaughlan's Angel played on the radio, tears would stream down my cheeks, even as I combed the unusually quiet streets of Manhattan as the city mourned its dead thousands.

Last night, when I saw the promo clip for this Sunday's charity show for the Great Sichuan Earthquake victims on Channel 8, a few fleeting frames of a heart-wrenching image made me sob almost uncontrollably. It was a picture of many school bags, which looked uncannily like mine when I was a primary schoolgirl, neatly laid on sandy floors of what must have once been a classroom or playground, now a mass tomb of thousands of young, bright students.

I know these two places will forever hold a very special place in my heart. Seven years on, I am still planning a return to New York. Perhaps this winter, I'll visit Ground Zero once more. Or perhaps, I'll head for Chengdu, this time on an almost spiritual trip - perhaps I'll take the road less travelled to Tibet, perhaps I'll attempt to go as close as I can to the little towns where I had once been, but are now no more than dust and ashes.