Monday, May 12, 2008

900 students buried ...


It must be around the time I left Novena Square this afternoon after a hearty meal of Japanese food that the earthquake happened at 2.28 pm.

It was in Wenchuan, some 100km northwest of Chengdu. It is also home to, and the natural habitat of, the giant pandas at the Wolong Nature Reserve. No news from the reserve because communication lines were down.

Major tremors were felt in Chengdu, people were hurt, electricity were cut, phone lines were down. I wonder how my friend is ...

But the 900 hundred students still buried under the rubble of a collapsed school in Dujiangyan ... my prayers are with them.

243 days ago, a major quake hit a spot just off Sumatera, the tremors of which I felt. I was afraid. Imagine the horror and trauma the affected residents must be suffering from now.