Sunday, May 06, 2007

A Tale of Two Muslim Cities

This time tomorrow, I'll be in Karachi, Pakistan. Kinda excited really because I'm finally doing some real work and not just tiresome logistics. Oh, and every opportunity away from the stifling office is priceless.

I've never been to Karachi, or anywhere in Pakistan, and I don't care whatever people say or however the West must label the city "the most dangerous in the world", from what I've seen and read about Karachi, it's lovely. Because it's a mysterious, strange, new country - oooh ... it's highly appealing to me.

Neither have I been to Egypt nor its capital Cairo. We move on from Karachi to the Land of the Pharoahs on 13 May (Mother's Day - please remember to celebrate with Mom!).

If I haven't miscalculated and really, really keeping my fingers and toes crossed, we have a free day at the end of our stay in Cairo. That means a possible day trip to Giza! It's only some 25 km from downtown Cairo ... yeah, the Pyramids, the mighty Sphinx ... I have to see them or else I'll leave a piece of myself behind in Cairo, to be picked up on the next trip ...

Hey, this would only be the second wonder of the world I've seen, if I do eventually. The first was the Grand Canyon - so breathtaking that any attempt to describe it with my limited vocabulary is contemptuous.

Looking forward to the same effect at Giza.

*pray hard*
d(>.<)b