Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Being alive.


It was end of the day and we were just goofing around. It struck me that we had only 8 hours left of the first half of 2008.

So I asked, "What have you achieved in the first half of this year?"

Selena's reply took the breath out of me.

"Being alive."

Such simple words, such deep meaning. Especially this year that is fraught with so many unfortunate incidents. Hundreds of thousands have not the chance to say these words today. Thousands more wonder if they can say these words by the next half of this year if aid does not get to them soon. And millions more wonder when their livelihood can be reinstated, including my friend in Chengdu.

I'm just happy I'm able to take a moment and reflect on those words today. To be able to chat and laugh with dear friends even when we had to stay back at the office to complete a task.

If being alive was the biggest achievement of all of the first half, here's to an even better second half of 08! TO LIVE!