Monday, October 08, 2007

Memories of Manila


Just came back from another whirlwind research trip. This time, to Manila. While it's not exactly a tourist destination, the city does have its own charm, where you know to find it :)

Like Jollibee. And Grower's peanuts. And Boy Bawang, which eluded me when I was there last week, and which dear Chevy, a good friend from Manila who is now based in Singapore, just told me as I recounted my nutty obsession. Peanuts were the only souvenir I brought back from this city. A mega-variety of them. All of them delicious, like nothing we can find on the shelves of NTUC or The Happy Place (Carrefour).

It seemed I had a misunderstanding, thinking we'd been checked into the New World Renaissance whose rooms were to come with free Internet access. So I lugged my laptop all the way there to find that we were booked into the Mandarin Oriental.

Nothing I could complain about this luxury hotel, except for the lack of free Internet. And that housekeeping threw away my almost empty bottle of talc powder and tube of toothpaste, and my toothbrush cover! The over-enthusiastic housekeeping also 'helped' me hang my clothes in the wardrobe, which I almost forgot to pack into my luggage when it's time to go home. Out of sight, out of mind. So thank you very much, I'd rather you just leave my clothes sprawled on the couch, just the way I'd left them.

Sigh ... other than that, I only have praises for the warm staff and super breakfast spread, though out of the five nights I stayed there, I only enjoyed two morning's worth of meals. Alas, sleep wins.

The research went pretty alright. Like previous trips to developing countries, it's a reality check for me here in Manila; witnessing the juxtapose of two economic extremes within such close proximity - slums with emaciated kids running naked, skin glistening with sweat inflicted by the merciless late morning sun, at the gate of a prim 'n proper plush neighbourhood - was mind-blowing.

We had a cheery driver, Bernie, who was despatched to rescue us when my colleague fell ill on our first day in Manila. A short ride in a claustrophobic cab from Makati City had left her queasy so we had no choice but to request for the office all the way in Quezon City to send us a SUV. They sent Bernie and he'd been our driver everyday except for one. Bernie and his Air Supply-era music on the stereo. Priceless.

Tara, the local researcher (whom I thought looked incredibly young!), made us feel so at home, making sure that all our needs were met. I've learned much about mobile phone habits and pricing from her. Excellent.

Although I must say that Manila is definitely not a tourist's choice given the bad traffic and low quality air, there are the lovely sides - the hospitality of her people, delicious food and flavourful peanuts - you can't find elsewhere in the world.