Saturday, October 13, 2007

3月9日: Sangatsu Kokonoka


I've found my theme song. At last. Lol. Why someone would write a song with this title is beyond me. It's by a Japanese band Remioromen from their album Ether. According to Wiki, both singles and album were released on Mar 9, a year apart, in 2004 and 2005 respectively.

A song about finding strength in new challenges, I can easily identify with the song, especially when it is also the soundtrack of an inspirational true story about the struggles of a girl who continues to live optimistically even as life fades away from her with each passing day.

3月9日 is featured in Japanese drama, 1 Litre of Tears, which is based on the true story of Aya Kitō, a 15-year-old who was diagnosed with spinocerebellar atrophy but carried on living for another ten years more earnestly than most of us who have taken life for granted. During that time, she chronicles her struggles as a spinocerebellar atrophy patient in a diary, 1リットルの涙 (1 Rittoru no Namida).

The series has 11 episodes, and I've just finished episode 3 on Youtube. This is the episode when Aya and her class perform the song at the school choir contest in the morning. That afternoon, she confirms that she's been stricken with the disease. And hence her life will change, as she tells best mate, Haruto.



I've also found the music files for 3月9日 here.
And the OST of the drama here.


3月9日: Sangatsu Kokonoka
March 9

Nagareru kisetsu no mannaka de
In the middle of this drifting season


Futo hi no nagasa wo kanji masu
I suddenly feel the length of the days

Sewashiku sugiru hibi no naka ni

In the midst of these quickly-passing days

Watashi to anata de yume wo egaku

You and I dream away

San gatsu no kaze ni omoi wo nosete
With my feelings on the March wind

Sakura no tsubomi wa haru he to tsuduki masu

The cherry blossom buds continue on into spring

Afuredasu hikari no tsubu ga
The overflowing drops of light

Sukoshizutsu asa wo atatame masu

One by one warm the morning

Ookinaa kubi wo shita ato ni

Beside you, I’m a little embarrassed

Sukoshi tereteru anata no yoko de

After a huge yawn

Arata na sekai no iriguchi ni tachi
I’m standing at the door to a new world

Kiduita koto wa hitori ja naitte koto that
What I’ve realized is that I’m not alone


Hitomi wo tojireba anata ga
If I close my eyes

Mabuta no ura ni iru koto de
You’re behind my eyelids

Dore hodo tsuyoku nareta deshou

How strong has that made me?

Anata ni totte watashi mo sou de aritai
I hope I’m the same for you


Suna bokori hakobu tsumuji kaze
The dusty whirlwind

Sentaku mono ni karamari masu ga
Tangled up the laundry, but

Hirumae no sora no shiroi tsuki wa
The white moon in the morning sky

Nan daka kirei de mitore mashita
Was so beautiful, I couldn’t look away


Umaku wa ikanu koto mo arukeredo
There are things that don’t go the way I planned

Ten wo aogeba sore sae chiisa kute
But if I look up to the sky, even they seem small


Aoi sora wa rinto sunde
The blue sky is cold and clear

Hisu ji kumo wa shizuka ni yureru
The fluffy clouds float by quietly

Hanasaku wo matsu yorokobi wo
If I can share with you the joy

Waka chiaeru no de areba sore wa shiawase
Of waiting for the flowers to bloom, I’ll be happy


Kono saki mo tonari de sotto hohoen de
From now on, I want you to be quietly smiling beside me