Saturday, August 25, 2007

云吞幻想


Remember when I was little, Mom would sometimes bring my sister and I out for a treat in the afternoon. It was almost always wanton noodles(云吞面). Very delicious ones at this little shop along a street whose name I can scarcely remember now, but it's off Jalan Banda Kaba. We didn't have the chance to eat out very often because my parents were very careful with household expenditure, my dad being the only breadwinner.

We would always ask for the soup version. The wanton balls were fragrant and delicious, the noodles springy and the hot soup lined our throats with an aftertaste of anchiovy sweetness, unlike today's MSG-laden broth. After we finished, we would always ta pao two packs for dad and grandma. The dry version. Otherwise, the noodles would turn soggy by the time we reached home, a 15-minute walk away.

Today, no matter what 'treat' I have, no matter how sumptuous the meal is, it will never beat the wanton noodles that we used to have back in those days. Yet, strangely, I no longer fancy these noodles. Only the lingering memories remain.