Monday, March 21, 2005

POETRY: Portrait of a Stranger

My first attempt at writing poetry, although I've seen many, sung to a few and my name definitely is one.

"Portrait of a Stranger" is inspired by the lady at the Far East Plaza bus stop at 9 pm most nights. My heart cried for her; its lamentation I poured out in this song.

9 o’clock in the evening
This human being
She’s all bent…
…she can’t stand

Who are you kid?
It doesn’t matter…
… a little bit

Can I lean on you
… after we say hello
No other can I turn to
Not this ol’ lady bent low
Languishing in her own sorrow

What’s her story…
Was she pretty
… or plain like Mary

Was she rich
… or just the kid
… down the street

Look beyond those eyes
I see…
Wisdom beyond age
Sorrow beyond heal

What wrong was cast
… that no right can unmask

This face of pain
This portrait of a stranger